- Soak almonds in tap water overnight (or for 12 hours in very hot water). Strain well. You can also use other nuts of your choice like hazelnut or macadamia, but organic is best.
- Combine the soaked almonds (or other nuts), water, salt, and sweetener of choice (optional) in a blender. Use less water if you want thicker milk. Blend until creamy and smooth, keeping it running for a few minutes on high so you get the most flavour out of your nuts.
- Add your optional flavourings if you want flavoured milk. Blend again for 2 minutes on high.
- Strain using a nut milk bag or fine cheesecloth over a bowl. Pour the almond milk mixture over the cloth, then carefully gather the corners and lift up. Squeeze until all of the liquid is extracted. Discard pulp or save for adding to baked goodies.
- Transfer milk to a jar or covered bottle and refrigerate. Will keep for up to a week, although best to drink fresh.