- No need to soak or pre-heat the oats. Just add oats, water, salt, and any additional ingredients to a good blender. (I use a Thermomix and add a serving of Happy Shape Vanilla or Chocolate.)
- Blend for about 30-60 seconds or until the mixture is well combined. Keep in mind over-blending can give the milk a slimy texture. Taste a spoonful to check flavor and sweetness and add some more until you achieve desired taste.
- Strain the milk. I use a nut bag, although a tight weave cheesecloth or a clean piece of t-shirt will do an equally good job. Just cover a jug or large bowl with the strain cloth, then pour through. I pour through twice.
- Pour strained milk into a sealed jar to store. It will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge. Naturally it will separate – just give it a shake and enjoy with your favourite hot beverage or muesli.
- You can either discard or save the ‘oat pulp’. I put mine in the freezer and once I have a few batches worth, I mix with a little coconut oil and sweetener. I place the mixture on a baking tray and bake for around 10 minutes to use as an ‘oat bran’ sprinkle on yoghurt.